Saturday, August 18, 2012

Math Journals

Hello Friends!

As you can tell by my header and "about me" section, I have a passion for literacy. I never liked math as a child (heck, I never liked reading either, but at least I wasn't terrible at it...) so, as a teacher I'm not too crazy about it either. However, I know it is important (yadda yadda...) and I should probably be doing things to make it easier and more enjoyable for the kiddos. Last year my school "implemented" the common core standards. I use the term implemented lightly, because we were all really stumped as to how to implement it successfully, so we really just winged it. Our report card changed too and we need to give a grade for mathematical communications. I figure that in order to do that the students are going to need to know the words to use! Also, problem solving is a grade, and its huge in the common core. I've been reading about a lot of you who are doing math journals, so I'm gonna try it. Daily problems of the day, explaining how they solved it, note taking, etc. etc. It should be interesting, since its not something I've researched as deeply as say, balanced literacy. But it can't hurt right??

I decided to create some inserts for the back of their math journals to use as references. I created them landscape so that they can be cut in half and glued down on a marble notebook sized page. Feel free to download, use, revise, and share. :) Leave a comment and let me know if you are downloading, and let me know how you help your kids problem solve and communicate mathematically! I can use all the help I can get!

First, key words to look for in word problems to help the students figure out which operation to use.
fuzzy, sorry... that's just the jpg. To download the PDF click here: Word Problem Helpers

Next, here is a math word wall for the kids. The words are all the Common Core math vocabulary words K-4. They are in alphabetical order, rather than grade order. I thought that would be easier for the kiddos to navigate!

Link: Math Vocab

I have to make these pdf instead of word, because of the fonts I use. (They are from a CD download.) If I made them word docs and you don't have the fonts, they won't show up. If you want word docs, let me know and I'll get it to you.

Again, let me know if you are going to download and how you're going to use it. I'd love to hear about it! :)

melissa :)


Pin It

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa... these look great!! :) One of my goals for this school year is to have my students develop a stronger math vocabulary when speaking and writing about problems. These documents will be perfect for them to use as a resource!
-Kayla

Post a Comment